Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Kids in Nature
            For my opinion editorial paper, I'm going to focus my attention on modern-day children and their decreasing interest in exploring nature.  The wooded paths and trails, the cool brooks and streams, the high mountain peaks are left abandoned, untouched; what's the competition?  Technology.  Technology is a dangerous, deceiving replacement for real-world adventures and experiences.  Video game and YouTube adventures satisfy the innate, primeval call of the wild that every kid feels at one time or another, and they miss out on the glowing, bountiful lessons that Mother Nature--a marvelous instructor--has to offer.
            One of the key elements of this topic is how technology is being more widely accepted and utilized in school, church, and home as ways to occupy and 'distract' children.  Already the huge red flag crops up, because when a child's cute little face is illuminated by the dazzling, gargantuan screen of a smart phone or tablet (or whatever new thing's out there now) they are trapped in a virtual, false world.  The people and things they interact with are unflawed, impersonal shades of real, living people and toys--illusionary perspectives of life. Their opportunities too meet and play with other children and adults are limited, and that's just not good.  How can a parent develop an appropriate, solid relationship with their kids if they never really parent them?  I believe the electronic babysitter, when excessively used, is an assault on proper, traditional childhood growth.
            When I was young, I had the privilege of going camping, climbing trees, scuffing my elbows and knees, and sword fighting malicious, imaginary villains with carved sticks.  My family and I, we'd all go on hikes along the river banks, chasing squirrels and birds, and skipping stones.  The very vibrant life and breath of the surrounding environment edified, refined, and provided us with confidence and strength.  When T.V. shows, movies, and video games coerce the children of the world to remain indoors, sitting dormant, they're fostering sedentary and unfit lives.  Their social skills, spiritual exuberance, physical and mental well-being are smothered and endangered.
            My paper will go deeper into these pressing subjects, and present practical solutions--we just need to retain the traditional childhood experience, and encourage a greater  balance between the virtual and real, outdoor world. 



3 comments:

  1. Max, I definitely agree with this point. Sometimes, I become horrified with how some people in school will be buried in their phones, only to surface when necessary. I was honestly a little scared at one point when I considered the possibility that children would simply stop wanting to learn and be to focused on their electronic screens to do anything else, thus causing an end to life as we know it! (A little extreme yes, but excessive use of technology usually pushes toward the negative side of things). Anyways, good luck on your paper, go save the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your point on how T.V and video games are used to distract children. I too have been guilty of letting television time exceed its limits to keep my duties as babysitter minimal. This is lazy and children really should be involved in outdoor activities and play time in order to let their imaginations grow. Good luck on your paper, it sounds like it'll be an interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this topic, and agree that technology in early education must be used very carefully. In my opinion, technology in education isn't always bad -- it opens up a world of research and information (even though it must be used carefully) -- so I would be careful not to demonize it excessively. But wow, are you ever right on the point of kids spending their free time -- I feel like kids 50 years ago were so much more creative with their games and whatnot just because of how much time they would spend outdoors! I am also so against video games and addictive TV that restricts kids... and adults... from being productive with their lives & spending time outdoors and with each other...
    My topic is a bit similar - I wrote on whether technology has the power to unite or alienate people & its benefits/disadvantages! Great minds think alike:)

    ReplyDelete